LED throwie tutorial


As promised I have compiled the LED throwie tutorial including the cheapest prices for supplies (believe me I researched a LOT) and how to make them. These LED throwies are my preferred lighting solution for my birthday party, you can see them compared to LED tealight candles in my post on how to make balloon luminaries, they are lots brighter, clearer and pretty for these luminaries and the look I want.
 And just a round up of the some of the other LED tutorials out there: 

I can't link the pic for some reason, but this bride (seriously, brides to be are amazing at DIY) has a post entitled I only I had majored in event lighting instead of biology - with lots of info on lighting round lanterns and the like. 


This LED throwie tutorial is THE original tutorial that everyone seems to reference, very simple to understand. 

Keep reading for more info on the CHEAPEST supplies and the tutorial.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED

  • 10mm diffuse white LED light, 12000mcd (I've read somewhere, sorry I can't find the link to credit the person; that white LED lights are better than the clears ones, i.e. brighter and that diffuse are better for 'diffusing'/ spreading the lights) 
  • CR2032 3V lithium button battery 
    • $19 for 100 batteries on aliexpress from seller gamesalor international ltd also with free shipping
      • they have discounts if you buy more i.e. 2000+, but the minimum is only 100 which is lucky otherwise it'd you'd be saving them for christmas and lighting up random things just to use them
 WHAT TO DO
  •  the LED light will have a longer prong and a shorter one, the longer one goes on the flat side and the shorter one on the top 
  • Tape the LED light to the battery
  • Grab a pair of pliers and carefully bend the LED light prongs into an upright position so that your LED throwie can sit on the battery, and thus sit in the base of your luminary. 
  • If you are going to string them to light lanterns, add another layer of sticky tape and some clear fishing string to hang them up. 
  
  • Tah-dah for $0.34USD you can light up your luminaries/lanterns/tin cans....ANYTHING. And the benefits of the strong Aussie dollar means it was cheaper than that!
Happy crafting!
mel@all.wrapped.up Web Developer

The indecisive crafter

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to know how many hours they stay lit. Lovely idea, thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I put them together about 3 hour before the event and they all lasted through the night. Some of them started to flicker, but I think that was because I didn't secure the connection very well, so if you need them to last a very long time maybe invest in some electrician's tape. My cousin took some home to play with and it's been 3 weeks since my birthday and 1/4 of them are till running, so they last a very very long time I would say.

    ReplyDelete