Quick 3 minute-ish DIY bobbin holder


So I managed to finish my oral and written Women's health case reports so I have time to post this quick tutorial. I'm not too sure how you guys store your bobbins, but if your like me they're probably chucked in a bowl/box/recycled cotton bud container near you sewing machine so you don't have to move your butt to switch threads...no? well then you probably don't need this tutorial...but if you are half as messy as me you might. 


What you'll need
  • handful of wooden skewers
  • picture frame - preferably a dodgy one with a broken stand since you won't need to stand this up anyways
  • styrofoam/ florist foam, scrap foam or corkboard sheets (if you want to be fancy)

What to do:
  • So I had very thin <2mm corkboard sheet so it wasn't quite thick enough to poke skewers through, so I backed it up with a piece of scrap foam. If you have thicker corkboard or poke-y foam then just use that - this is meant to be cheap and quick to use what's on hand. 
  • You need a piece which will fit into the back of the frame.
  •  Secure the foam in place with what ever backing your frame has.
  •  Flip your frame over and grab your skewers, push them through as far as they will go.
  •  Grab some sharp scissors and snip your skewers to a reasonable length. 
    • A few of my skewers split all the way and couldn't be used, but I had heaps so no big loss. Try and use sharp scissors.
  • Once you've poked as many skewers as you can through, start organising your bobbins: 
    • I have at least 3 of the same teal colour - a remnant from my grandmother's sewing box - it's a good colour for basting, and also 3 black bobbins. 
      • This quick project had my bobbins organised and I found a bunch of spare ones for future use - no more threading colours on top of each other.

**I have a Janome sewing machine which states I should only use plastic Janome bobbin. And so for the first little while I did because you know, there was buttons and shiz on my machine and I did not want to ruin it. But once the novelty wore off and I ran out of bobbins I found out that the metal ones and plastic Singer ones work fine. So do Singer needles on a Janome machine. I will get on a review of my sewing machine, there's an amazing blog which compares different machines (can't find it but still looking) which I used as well as http://www.productreview.com.au/c/sewing-machines.html

Happy Crafting!
Mel 


mel@all.wrapped.up Web Developer

The indecisive crafter

6 comments:

  1. wonderful idea...thanks for sharing. gonna whip myself up one of these later today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I'm glad you found it helpful enough to give it ago, mine's working out really well, especially since I know have so many spare bobbins!

      Mel

      Delete
  2. Love it! I have all the supplies at home and will make one this week. And maybe some for a few special quilting friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bobbins are a mess, will give this a try. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a handy idea! My bobbins are forever getting in a tangled mess.

    Sarah x
    www.tellhershesdreaming.com

    ReplyDelete