Skirt Pocket Tutorial


It's almost been a whole month since I blogged and not because I haven't been crafting but because I've been inundated with uni and etsy stuffs. Well that and my house is a mess and just as I was about to photograph my lovely new skirt with pockets I found a family of spiders under a moving box which is still sitting in the corner of our laundry drying/ dining/ ironing/ guest room. So house cleaned and a slew of hot days and beautiful sunlight to help photograph the skirt means I have a post for you all. 



The mother of the spiders I spotted a few days before I moved the dreaded box
So if you recall I've made two different items to circumvent any need to add pockets to my skirts/dresses because there are just to many of them that would need upgrading, and making one (or two) items seemed to be easier. The inspiration for the Sandi ID Wallet Tutorial came from a need to have coins on me to avoid awkward moments when the doctors went on mid/ post ward round coffees and my pocketless skirts didn't have imaginary coins to save me from penniless embarrassment. 


Then there was the first world problem of not having a place to pop my phone and so the fabric pouch with elastic was made basically for the sole purpose of not having to add pockets (again).


So this time round I was motivated by another work/uni related awkward moment to actually finally put pockets into my skirt. I mentioned on facebook that I'm currently sitting in with a doctor who powers through his lunch break whilst I tried to fold my stomach on myself to dampen the growling it's doing in the middle of a consultation. Thus, I figured it was about time to add some pockets into my skirt, if only to smuggle food in.

So I was putting it off the whole adding pockets in because I thought it would be too hard, but it was soooo quick + simple. 

What you'll need
  • sturdy fabric in the colour of your skirt/ dress
    • I used black chino drill/ twill fabric because I hate hate hate discovering holes in pockets because your phones/ keys are too heavy/pointy for the sheer fabric they use in them
  • a skirt or dress 
  • template for pocket - so you'll want to download the picture or copy and paste it into a word document so it's printable on a A4 page


What to do
  • Cut out the template. 
  • I like to pin my fabric to my ironing board to prevent it from moving whilst I trace templates. 
  • You will  need to cut out 4 identical pieces - the easiest way to do this is to fold the fabric so it doubles on itself and to place the straight edge of the template on the fold so you can trace once and cut once but end up with 2 pieces.
  • Once you've traced the template you should pin pin pin around the outline to ensure it doesn't move and you have two even pocket shapes.
  • When you cut out the template on the fold you will end up with a heart shaped piece of fabric, just cut along the fold to give two pocket pieces.
 
  •  So you'll need to pick the seam of the skirt along where you want the pocket to go, probably 2 inches from the top of your hip. 
  • Basically you need to line up the good side of the pocket piece with the good side of skirt facing each other. Therefore wrong side of the pocket piece facing up. 
  • Line up the side seam of the skirt with the straight edge of the pocket piece and hem. 
  • If you have a 'overlock' stitch on your sewing machine I would use it to stop your fabric from unraveling with wash and wear, if not use a straight stitch first and then a zigzag stitch along the edge of the two fabrics. 
  • The point of the picture below is to show how to line up the pockets with each other as I got confused a few times and had to place my hand over the pocket to orientate myself. You basically want to have an upside down heart shape, with the pointy end pointed at the top of the skirt.

  • You need to attach the two pocket pieces in the heart shape formation on opposing seams. 
  • Now you need to fold the pockets on top of each other and line up the original seams and the two pocket pieces with lots of pins. 
  • Starting from the original seam of the skirt sew along in a straight line until you hit the curve of the pocket then follow it around til you reach the original straight hem and continue straight up it again.  


  •  Zigzag around the pocket fabric edges as well.
  • Do this for both sides and ta-dah you will have two nice new pockets for all manner of things from food to phones or just for some good old fashion slouching and acting nonchalant (also a feature of my daily routine whilst on ward rounds).



  • And the pockets are not even noticable from the side/ front of the skirt

  • Given that I am compiling a list of fail projects to show you that my seam ripper is really my favourite sewing tool, I thought this one couldn't wait. I wasn't paying attention when I inserted the second pocket and gave myself a crotch pocket instead of one in the side seam, but it was easy enough to rip out and place in the correct position. I actually LOLed at the crotch pocket and chucked it aside so I could sleep and redo it the next day.
  • So now I have some lovely deep pockets for stashing my phone and snacks. 
Not that I stash scissors in my pocket
Happy Crafting! 
And remember that everyone makes crafting mistakes, that basically why they invented seam rippers. 

Mel
mel@all.wrapped.up Web Developer

The indecisive crafter

5 comments:

  1. Ha Ha! I'd like to see how your skirt looks with your pockets full of food! Thanks for the tute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Noreen,

      I've basically perfected the art of packing a little plastic bag of nuts in my pocket then twisting it closed on itself when I sit down, although I find all kinds of things in the bottom of pocket at the end of the day. LOL. Glad you found the tutorial helpful and got a laugh out of it.

      Happy Crafting,
      Mel

      Delete
  2. For all the things Ive made with pockets in them, I never once thought about adding pockets after the fact. *doh* Oh man, my favorite denim skirt will be VASTLY improved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica,

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Pockets have definitely changed the number of times a day I lose my phone and keys, glad you found the tute helpful.

      Happy Crafting

      Delete
  3. wow, I just learned a lot from this post, I am not good with sewing and other stuff that has to do with needles and thread, and I am pretty amazed by your work their lovely

    ReplyDelete