Wrap pencil skirt


I can't believe how sunny it looks in these pictures of my wrap skirt, especially given that I'm under two lots of blankets trying to warm my freezing feet. 



The skirt initially started out as a wearable muslin of the McCalls 6744 wrap dress. I picked up the end few meters of a roll of some kind of animal print cotton sateen for $3 a meter whilst I was on my last medical student rotation up in Bendigo last year. It usually takes me a while to plan projects, but given how cheap the fabric was and how amazing Mimi G's version of the wrap dress was I though I'd give it a go. 



Mistake. Though I was able to salvage the cut pieces and make a wrap skirt. I curved the two pieces and made sure there was a full overlap to avoid any awkward flashing co-workers in the hospital moments. 


I used the back pattern piece of my self drafted pencil skirt and decided to try my hand at an exposed metal zipper as well. 



The fabric pattern is not something I'd usually wear as it's too cougar/fake tan/big boobs type of print, but it's not too bad toned down. The only thing I couldn't figure out was how to add pockets to a wrap skirt, which means it was great on my last rotation where I was based on one ward but for my next rotation I'll be hopping between wards and much stairs so I doubt it'll get much wear. 

So I had mostly given up on M6744, until I stumbled upon one of the best hidden Melbourne fabric finds. After deciding I couldn't stand peak hour traffic on the Monash freeway city bound, especially after a long night shift so I decided to stop by at Dandenong Plaza, unsure of what to expect, but definitely least of all of a fabric shop, aptly named Super Cheap Fabrics. Everything was under $3.99, and is the cheapest I've seen knit fabric, which means I can finally be one of those sewist who can copy their favourite RTW clothes just like Liz from Cotton and Curls. I picked up some lightweight jersey, ponte knit and lining fabrics, and the new shop assistant uploads the new fabrics onto Facebook. When I went last they had a moving sign, but they'll be opposite Dimmey's in Dandenong. 


I also picked up 12 of these 10L plastic boxes from Masters for $30 and rather embarrassingly managed to fill up about 8 of them with fabric, with another two 52L bins of fabric stashed away as well. 


If you're in the area, or even if you're not it's definitely worth the trip to pick up some great fabric. I've made two knit dresses in the past two days and am super impressed with the fabric. 

Happy Crafting!
Mel
mel@all.wrapped.up Web Developer

The indecisive crafter

1 comment: