which is available for free on burdastyle. With a family friend's wedding coming up I decided to make my own dress which would see me through both a daytime ceremony and an evening reception. I ended up choosing one of the voile fabrics I got in Thailand earlier in the year which has been rejected for numerous other projects as it is a) too busy and b) on a white background. For this dress though the fabric turned out perfect and the style makes for a good day to night transition.
With my second version of this pattern I stayed true to the original, keeping the somewhat awkward seam that goes straight through the bust instead of curving the top part as I did the first time.
I figured the busy print would distract from the 'nipple line'. I did make some alterations though. The pattern comes in a one size only which means most people will need to alter the pieces as per their size.
There are four pieces for the bodice, and I paired it with a tried and true circle skirt. I ended up widening the top bust part about 2.5" (extending the actual pattern piece 1.25" as it is cut on the fold), lengthening the middle bodice piece 3" and lengthening the side bodice piece 3" and widening it 1.25" to match the top bust part.
For the back bodice part I lengthed it 3" at the base and 2" from the top as I'm not a fan of the low back style. Due to the lengthening of the bodice there wasn't as much waist definition so I made a waist tie from the left over fabric.
This up-close, in-focus but un-ironed picture that gives a better idea of the busy print.
I was initially going to make my strapless dress using the simplicity 4070 pattern, but didn't realise it needed boning. This dress holds up well enough as long as the fit is tight, but to ensure shape and hold, I used cotton sateen for the bodice for added weight, and iron-on interfacing over both the lining and outer top bodice pieces.
|It sort of looks like I'm wearing an apron; but a cute one for a lining of a dress|
I used the outer fabric for the top bodice piece and also cut 1.5" diagonal strips for the top of the back bodice pieces to avoid peek through.
I would highly recommend this pattern for those who like me are not quite ready to step up to the challenge of boning, however I would caution the need for a muslin to perfect the fit to avoid any embarrassment when wearing the dress.
In the three years since I made the dress I've learnt a few things, and the ease to which I made the 2.0 version is a testament to that. I would recommend for a beginner trying the dress to uses a cotton sateen the first time around as it has a better weight than a voile and some stretch which makes it more forgiving.
|Contour Bust Dress 1.0|
|Contour Bust Dress 2.0|
Unfortunately the dress looks a bit washed out as it was an overcast photo day, but in action t'was hawt and held up with no oops moments.