Simplicity 'Jiffy' 1364 Top



This is the top mentioned in my not so city gym shorts post that I left gathering dust for months awaiting some simple bias tape to finish the armholes. But once that fear was conquered this top has been a staple in the wardrobe.


The top is a from a reprint of an old Simplicity pattern. Aptly named Jiffy. It didn't take long to put together (minus the 10 weeks of waiting to insert bias tape). 



The sleeves just cap over the shoulder making it work appropriate.


A bit hard to tell from the picture above but I'm pointing to the diagonal darts that help shape the bust.  


Ignore the mismatched bias tape. I may have conquered my fear of inserting bias tape but much prefer to avoid making my own at all costs. I did make my own to make it match but then realised you wouldn't see it at all so fished some pre-made bias tape out of the stash. Also this was my wearable muslin, and the sun spoilt the delicate voile fabric whilst it was line drying on a hot day but I wear it all the times anyways.


The pattern has a button hole closure at the back to help you get the top over your head, but as with many others who tried the pattern I did away with this and sewed straight up the back with one seam. Next time I'll just cut on the fold to cut down on time even more.
 

Bias tape fear conquered. Much quicker than facings if you have premade bias tape.


I bought 5 patterns for $10 from Spotlight so this Jiffy top was a great addition, but even without the sale it's a great beginner pattern and wardrobe builder. 

Happy Crafting!
M
el
mel@all.wrapped.up Web Developer

The indecisive crafter

2 comments: